As part of the „In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme“ DAAD offers scholarships for Master studies. The programme is funded by the German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and aims at university staff in the first line, without neglecting the public sector demand of academically trained personnel.
The target group for scholarships are graduates from Sub-Saharan Africa with a first academic degree if applying for a Master’s programme who want to pursue Master’s courses, either
- In their home country (In-Country scholarships are aimed at students who study in their home country or in the country for which they have a residence permit.) – or –
- In another Sub-Saharan country (In-Region scholarships are aimed at students who want to participate in a study programme in a country of their home region (here: Sub-Saharan Africa /outside their home country).
It has been agreed upon that DAAD cooperates with University of Ibadan by offering up to 5 In-Country scholarships and 10 In-Region scholarships for Master studies at University of Ibadan for the intake 2021.
Scholarships will be awarded subject to the provision of funds and to the conclusion of contract between the host institution and DAAD.
Aim and Benefits of DAAD Masters Scholarship
The scholarship covers:
- Tuition Fees
- Study and research allowance
- Monthly Scholarship (Accommodation, Food etc.)
- Travel allowance (In-Region only)
The duration of the Master programme is generally 1.5 years and is usually starting in September.
Please note that the maximum duration of the scholarship is based on the time that is left until the scholarship holder has reached the regular period of studies in that programme; i.e., if you apply for a DAAD scholarship starting in your second year of studies of a three-year programme, the maximum duration of the scholarship will be two years.
DAAD Masters Scholarship Courses
Requirements for DAAD Masters Scholarship Qualification
- Have successfully completed generally a three-year university degree with above average results (at least: Second Class/Upper Division)
- Clearly show motivation and strong commitment
- Have thorough knowledge of the language of instruction
- Have generally completed their last university degree not more than 6 years ago at the time of application
- Must be nationals or permanent resident of a Sub-Saharan country
- Should generally be:
- staff member of a public university,
- candidate considered for teaching or research staff recruitment,
- from the public sector and/or
- Alumni of the DAFI-programme
Female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are especially encouraged to participate in the programme.
Scholarships are initially granted for one year and can be extended to a maximum of the regular period of study upon receipt of an application for extension. Scholars must demonstrate satisfactory progress before an extension is granted.
Interview date, Process and Venue for DAAD Masters Scholarship
University of Ibadan will screen, pre-select (according to DAAD selection criteria) and short-list the applicants. A detailed report consisting of the shortlisting procedure, the entire list of applicants, the ranked shortlist and the shortlisting panel members will also be availed to DAAD. The ranked shortlist will contain preferably triple (at least double) the number of scholarships that have been attributed to the institution. DAAD reserves the right of final selection.
Documents Required for Application
Documents to be submitted (in English):
- DAAD application form duly filled in (available in the DAAD-Portal)
- Hand signed curriculum vitae (please use the European specimen form at http://europass.cedefop. Europa.eu), including a list of publications (if applicable).
- One recommendation letter by a university teacher
- Letter of admission for the host university
- Certified copies of university degree certificates including transcripts
- Letter of motivation and a timetable (if applicable: mentioning the planned research stay in Germany, see “Additional benefits”)
- Copy of the passport
- If applicable, information on the UNHCR registration as refugee
February 10, 2021